Type Company, non-profit since 2014
Leader Anita Sarkeesian
Feminist Frequency is an ongoing webseries of video commentaries that claims to explore representations of women in pop culture media. The video series was created by Anita Sarkeesian in 2009, and episodes for the series are created alongside her producer and co-writer Jonathan McIntosh. In recent years, despite the community voicing numerous concerns, from questionable content to the outright plagiarism of Let's Play content found on YouTube, the Games Media such as Kotaku and Polygon promote the series while ignoring any criticisms made of the series. Feminist Frequency became involved in GamerGate when several of the threats she received was attributed to the revolt, which led to a New York Times article as well as an appearance on the Colbert Report. Feminist Frequency is both a registered business and charity.
- 1 Organization's Details
- 2 Pre- Gamergate
- 3 Role in Gamergate
- 4 Criticisms and Rebuttals
- 5 Trivia
- 6 See Also
- 7 References
- 8 External Links
Katherine Cross Secretary
Links to Organizations
This prompted an undisclosed conflict-of-interest on the Feminist Frequency Steam Curator page, as they recommended Crypt of the NecroDancer, a game who had contracted out SilverString for narrative design, without disclosing the Silverstring Media connection.
1023 Tax Exempt for charity
Feminist Frequency has come under fire by many for alleged misuse of the Tropes vs Women in Video Games Kickstarter funds following its successful funding. The Kickstarter raised over 16 times the amount of money it originally requested, but progress on the series itself has been slow, with only one quarter of the planned topics having been covered to date. Criticism FemFreq's lack of financial transparency only grew after it was revealed that the organization was only officially registered as a charity in the State of California in May 2014, 2 years after the Kickstarter began, raising questions over how donations made prior to this date were used. In January 2015, FemFreq released a financial breakdown of the Kickstarter and subsequent earnings. This financial breakdown reveals that they raised over $440,000 in 2014, with $230,000 having been raised in December alone. However, FemFreq only spent $64,200 in expenditures in 2014, most likely because most of the 2014 donations were made at the end of the financial year. This sudden uptick in donation volume can likely be attributed to Sarkeesian's increased media presence following the start of the GamerGate consumer revolt.
Tropes vs Women in Video Games
This has been moved to Tropes vs Women
Role in Gamergate
In February of 2015, it was revealed that Anti-Defamation League tries to push Feminist Frequency anti-gaming course material into Common Core (a set of standards that is taught in schools in the United States).
Conflicts of Interest
The 2012 Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code form lists Katherine Cross as a Secretary working for Feminist Frequency. Katherine Cross has also been to talks involving Anita Sarkeesian and seen in a public photo involving Anita Sarkeesian and Stephen Colbert from the Colbert Report. Between April 2014 and December 2014, Katherine Cross published a total of four notably biased articles which covered Anita Sarkeesian and/or Feminist Frequency. She has failed to disclose her relationship to Sarkeesian and Feminist Frequency in all four articles.
Criticisms and Rebuttals
See: Tropes vs Women for more about those series.
- Dishonesty: "Feminist Frequency, Part 1" -Article by @cainejw on Medium
- "25 Invisible Benefits" -YouTube Video --List of Participants:
- "Female Gamers React to Feminist Frequency’s Latest Video" -Article by Georgina Young on TechRaptor -Opinion article covering various responses from female gamers
- "25 Visible Benefits of Gaming While Female" -Article by on her blog Feels and Reals
- 20 Responses to “25 Benefits of Gaming While Female” -Article by on her blog Feels and Reals -responding directly to the original video.
- "25 benefits of being a female while gaming." -YouTube Video by
- "Re: 25 Invisible Benefits of Gaming While Male - Gamer Privilege" -YouTube Video by
Feminist Frequency Steam Curator - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/femfreq#curation
- FemFreq Blog 'While working on my upcoming...'
- Archive of Past Conferences list
- Archive of Digital Library Archive Search, Girls and Gaming missing
- Girls and Gaming article
- Archive of CGSA Membership Page
- Archive of now-deleted Team Page from Silverstring Media's website
- Archive of undisclosed recommendation
- SilverString on their consultation of the game
- KotakuInAction Reddit post with compiled information
- FemFreq Charity Status in California
- FemFreq Financial Breakdown
- Anita Sarkeesian Releases Kickstarter Breakdown, Raised $440,000 In 2014 - Forbes
- Anti-Defamation League: IS GAMING A BOY’S CLUB?
- specific section of the Feminist Frequency 1023 form
- Feminist Frequency Form 1023
- GaymerX2: Internetting While Female
- Imgur Archive
- Our days of rage: What #CANCELCOLBERT Reveals about women/of color and controversial speech, Katherine Cross
- Blood and iron: The unacknowledged misogyny of the far right, Katherine Cross
- What ‘GamerGate’ Reveals About the Silencing of Women, Katherine Cross, 9th September 2014 11:16 AM
- Empire of dirt: How Gamergate’s misogynistic policing of “Gamer identity” degrades the whole gaming community, Katherine Cross