The Rebuild Initiative is a project intended to establish better connections between gamers, developers and publishers. It is one which will be continually achieved through an extensive letter-writing campaign, with the three primary goals.
1. Circumventing the gatekeeper dynamic presented by the current form of games journalism, while allowing parties relevant to the industry and medium to communicate about such openly between each other without fear of reprisal.
2. Fostering more open lines of communication between developers, the companies they work for and the consumers of their products (gamers,) to ensure more positive industrial and artistic environments for the video games industry to thrive in.
3. Obligating game industry journalists and publications to focus more on the reporting upon of industrial and medium developments in respect to gaming and industrial realities, rather than using such as a platform to advance non-game related political or social ideologies.
While most projects are focused on dismantling the current system, the Rebuild Initiative seeks reform across the gaming market and to renew the relationship between gamers and developers.
The main recipients of this project are the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), the Electronic Merchants Association (EMA), along with various developers and publishers, from AAA to Indies. This is a blanket operation that should reach every corner of the industry regardless of their scope and influence.
E-mails have been effective for other operations, like Disrespectful Nod, however the Rebuild Initiate will focus on having people send physical letters to developers and publishers. There main reason for the push for physical mail is that in this age of digital media, a well thought out, hand written letter is worth 100,000 e-mails
When writing your letters, make sure to go over these key points:
1. Talk about your experiences, how gaming has affected you personally and what it means to you.
2. Express solidarity with the developers, whether they are indie or corporate, who feel separated from gamers due to the overzealous and agenda driven nature of many game journalists.
3. Highlight, if any, your experiences with modern game journalists and the impact their work has had on you, whether personal or merely by way of their statements, publications and promoted stances on the video games industry.
Consider taking pictures of your consoles and games, and/or screenshot your Steam purchases with the steam calculator. and including them with your letters, or tweeting them to #RebuildInitiative.
• While e-mails will not have as large an impact as hand written letters, they are not discouraged from being sent either.
• Be sure to take pictures of your hand written letters and tweet them to #RebuildInitiative as a way to encourage others to take part in this project.
- The overall goal of Rebuild Initiative is to rebuild the relationship between the consumer and business which has been strained greatly over the past few years. This has been further exacerbated by a news media which instead of acting as mediators and reporters, have declared themselves self-appointed gate keepers of information and in some cases, the moral authorities who govern the industry.
- The Rebuild Initiative, through its outreach and message, seeks to correct these issues, and more importantly, be the first step to allow developers and publishers to speak out on the current state of the industry at a time when many feel they cannot due to pressure, both external and internal.
- The Rebuild Initiative is not an end unto itself, but a means to achieve such and help renew trust and communication between the creators of the games we love and the gamers who sustain their work.
Contact information gathered here.
|Bandai Namcofirstname.lastname@example.org||1740 Technology Drive, Suite 600, San Jose, CA 95110 U.S.A.||Source|
|Bethesda Softworks LLCemail@example.com||1370 Piccard Drive Suite 120 Rockville, MD 20850 U.S.A.||Source|
|Capcomfirstname.lastname@example.org||800 Concar Drive, Suite 300, San Mateo, CA 94402-2649 U.S.A.||Source|
|Creative Assembly (SEGA)||Contact||Spire Court, Albion Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1JW U.K.||Source|
|Criterion Games (EA)||email@example.com||Onslow House, Onslow St, Guildford, GU1 4TN U.K.||Source|
|Electronic Arts||7700 Palmer Lane Building C Suite 200 Austin, TX 78729 U.S.A.||Source|
|Electronic Arts Swiss SARL||Place du Molard, 8 1204 Genève Switzerland||Source|
|Entertainment Software Associationfirstname.lastname@example.org||575 7th Street, NW Suite 300 Washington , DC 20004 U.S.A.||Source|
|Entertainment Merchants Association||entmerch.org/contact-us.html||16530 Ventura Boulevard Suite 400 Encino, CA 91436-4551 U.S.A.||Source|
|Evolution Studios (Sony)||email@example.com||2 Kings Court, Manor Farm Rd, Runcorn, WA7 1HR U.K.||Source|
|Kalypso Mediafirstname.lastname@example.org||Wilhelm-Leuschner-Str. 11-13, D-67547 Worms, Germany||Source|
|Lionhead Studios (Microsoft)||email@example.com||1 Occam Court, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7HJ U.K.||Source|
|Microsoft Corporation, ATTN: Customer Servicefirstname.lastname@example.org||One Microsoft Way Redmond, WA 98052 U.S.A.||Source|
|Nintendo of America Inc.||email@example.com||P.O. Box 957 Redmond, WA 98073-0957 U.S.A.||Source|
|Relic Entertainment (SEGA)||firstname.lastname@example.org||#400 - 1040 Hamilton Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 2R9 Canada||Source|
|SEGA of America, Inc.||350 Rhode Island Street Suite 400 San Francisco, CA 94103 U.S.A.||Source|
|SEGA Europe, Ltd.||27 Great West Road Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 9BW U.K.||Source|
|Sony Corporation of America||550 Madison Avenue New York, NY 10022 U.S.A.||Source|
|Sony Europe Limited||Contact||Source|
|Sumo Digitalemail@example.com||32 Jessops Riverside, 800 Brightside Lane, Sheffield, S9 2RX U.K.||Source|
|Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.,ATTN: Customer Service||Contact||622 Broadway New York, NY 10012 U.S.A.||Source|
|Ubisoft NCSA HQ||625 Third Street San Francisco, CA 94107 U.S.A.||Source|
|Ubisoft Worldwide HQ||28 rue Armand Carrel 93108 Montreuil-sous-Bois France||Source|