Robin Arnott is an audio designer and game developer who developed Deep Sea, released in 2010, and SoundSelf, scheduled for 2014. Both games focus mainly on audio, with Deep Sea being audio only and SoundSelf featuring audio accompanied by abstract visuals. He also did sound design for Antichamber.
Between October 9–12, 2013, Robin Arnott was the Indiecade 2013 Night Games curator, which meant he was responsible for selecting games for the Night Games festival, an open air arcade. Arnott chose Zoe Quinn's game Depression Quest for inclusion in this festival, giving it valuable exposure as well as being an honor used as selling point for Depression Quest. Arnott was on friendly terms with Quinn before the festival occurred:
- Quinn helped Arnott promote SoundSelf's kickstarter on March 28, 2013.
- They discussed their brains "getting along" on 3 April 2013.
- On August 14, 2013, Quinn agreed to help Arnott set up a SoundSelf installation at Burning Man festival.
All of this led to suspicion that Arnott's friendship with Quinn influenced him in selecting Depression Quest for Night Games.
Conflicts of Interest
- Leigh Alexander of Gamasutra covered SoundSelf when it was an IGF finalist in February 2014 without disclosing any sort of relationship to Arnott, despite having had friendly twitter conversations as far back as one year prior, and going out for drinks with him and Zoe Quinn less than one month afterwards.
- Griffin McElroy of Polygon covered SoundSelf's Kickstarter on March 8, 2013, then did so again one month later on April 5, 2013 because Robin Arnott asked him to. The two are also friends on Facebook.
- Chris Priestman of IndieStatik published six articles about Antichamber on one day, January 31, 2013. He later wrote about SoundSelf two months later on March 8, 2013. The two are also Facebook friends.
- Nathan Grayson mentioned Robin Arnott and his game SoundSelf six times in a three month period between March 31 and July 9, 2014, including two conspicuous name drops in articles having nothing to do with Arnott or his game. Based on Arnott's facebook profile, he's been friends with Grayson since as early as March 2013.
- Deep Sea
- SoundSelf press kit
- Antichamber press kit
- 2013 Festival Organizers
- 2013 Festival Games
- Depression Quest website
- Robin Arnott Twitter - 28 Mar 2013
- Robin Arnott Twitter - 3 Apr 2013
- Robin Arnott Twitter - 14 Aug 2013
- Road to the IGF: Robin Arnott's SoundSelf
- Robin Arnott Twitter - 21 Jan 2013
- Robin Arnott Twitter - 14 Feb 2014
- Robin Arnott Twitter - 16 Mar 2014
- Deep Sea creator Robin Arnott launches Kickstarter for new game SoundSelf
- SoundSelf finds its funding on Kickstarter, moving towards Burning Man stretch goal
- Griffin McElroy Twitter - 4 Apr 2013
- Robin Arnott Facebook friend list
- Red or Blue?
- Open Your Mind
- Life Is Full Of Ups And Downs
- Antichamber: The Game You Have To Play Before You Live
- Chant Into SoundSelf; Experience Intense Euphoric Visual Feedback
- The Indie Game Reality TV Show That Went To Hell
- I Nearly Passed Out In Public Playing A Video Game, And It Was Amazing
- Kinect Failed, But That Doesn't Mean Cool Game Controllers Are Dying
- Does E3 Still Matter?
- The Best Violent Moments In Video Games
- The Best Non-Violent Moments In Video Games
- Nathan Grayson Facebook friends list