The Verge is an American technology news and media network operated by Vox Media with offices in Manhattan, New York. The network publishes news items, long form feature stories, product reviews, podcasts, and an entertainment show.
Role in GamerGate
Besides being one of the sites engaging in censorship, The Verge has also run a number of hit pieces on GamerGate. YouTube celebrity TotalBiscuit has tweeted about the site's injection of gender politics into articles.
It was noted around January 24, 2015, that the site uses undisclosed affiliate links in an article as well as using Skimlinks as a referral service which is a clear violation of FTC rules and should be reported. Furthermore, their current FAQ on disclosure doesn't meet FTC (minimum) guidelines, and the site has no mention about cookies in their ethics statement.
- @Totalbiscuit regarding gender politics
- Anita Sarkeesian shares the most radical thing you can do to support women online
- KiA thread on The Verge's undisclosed affiliate links
- Undisclosed affiliate links
- Skimlinks TOS
- Reddit: Important FTC Update
- Disclosure: Why and How
- Our Ethical Guiding Principles