The GamerGate Harassment Patrol, or GGHP for short, was a sub tag created to quickly and efficiently deal with accounts breaking Twitter's harassment rules. The GGHP is designed to get mass reports on accounts that are issuing serious threats or posting other users' private information, actual infringements on Twitter's rules.
GGHP has been successful in banning accounts that were issuing threats to both followers of GamerGate and even those who oppose it. The #GamerGate Harassment Patrol is NOT designed to be used for banning people who are using offensive language or simply for disagreeing, as these are not against Twitter's rules. If people are being generally offensive from either side it is recommended you denounce their behavior, but not to attempt silencing their opinion. It is not up to any party to determine what constitutes ban-worthy behavior except for Twitter itself.
Guidance on Participation
The GGHP is a small sub movement for those concerned with rule breaking behavior, and is open for anyone to participate. It is leaderless, though many twitter users such as @_icze4r have led through example by using the sub tag frequently but only for its intended purposes. Here are some tips for using GGHP effectively;
- Typical Report: " #GamerGate Harassment Patrol ; The user @Hatefan is issuing threats, please report! "
- Only report users who are clearly breaking twitter rules by posting serious threats or personal information.
- When looking at other requests for the GGHP, make sure you check the account for a verifiable offense.
- Do not use the patrol in an attempt to block others' opinions or for being offensive if they are not breaking any rules.
- If you are using a picture in your report, make sure you censor personal information or harsh language.
- If you see another user reporting someone inappropriately, simply comment and send them to this page.
Motivations of some of the Twitter users who have reported harassment as part of the GamerGate Harassment Patrol effort have been questioned because of them having expressed support for prominent Twitter harassers Slade Villena and PressFartToContinue as well as themselves directly participating in harassment.